KRISTEN BARTON, MD, PHD, MSC, BSC (HONS), CSEP-CEP, CSEP-HPS
My passion for leadership in the area of health, specifically disease and injury prevention, took root at a young age.
A competitive athlete in my youth, I sustained my share of injuries. Over the course of my soccer career, I underwent several knee surgeries. Recognizing that these injuries could lead to chronic pain and decreased mobility, I became motivated to explore a career in orthopaedic surgery. My research program is focused on joint injury and post-traumatic osteoarthritis development, with an interest in exercise programming to mitigate pain and improve joint mobility.
I love watching my patients overcome their hesitation to starting an exercise program. From young adults suffering with athletic injuries to older adults dealing with osteoarthritis and/or joint replacement, I identify ways to help my clients move past the limitations of their disease.
I have previously completed a BSc degree (Hons) in Kinesiology (Exercise and Health Physiology), a MSc degree in Kinesiology (Biomechanics), a PhD degree in Medical Sciences, and Doctor of Medicine degree – all at the University of Calgary. My MSc thesis focused on alterations in cartilage lubrication after joint injury and my PhD thesis focused on in vivo knee joint biomechanics after knee injury.
Currently, I am an Adjunct Research Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy within the Faculty of Health Sciences at Western University and Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Kinesiology at the University of Calgary, in addition to being an orthopaedic surgery resident in the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at Western University. Further to this, I completed a postgraduate surgical leadership certificate through Harvard University.
VIEW KRISTEN’S FULL CV
research funding, awards, & honours
highlighted Operating grants
- Canadian Shoulder and Elbow Society Research Grant (2022-2023)
- London Health Sciences Centre Harvey F. Sullivan Memorial Scholarship Fund (2021)
Bone and Joint Health Strategic Clinical Network Research Facilitation Fund (2021-2022)
Academic Medical Organization of Southwestern Ontario Innovation Fund (2021)
Western Strategic Support for Tri-Council (CIHR) Success Seed Research Grant (2021)
Lawson Health Research Institute Internal Research Fund (2021)
Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology Seed Grant (2020)
- Canadian Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation Research Network Pilot Grant (2020)
- Carroll A. Laurin Award for Excellence in Clinical Research (2019)
- Canadian Institute of Health Research Patient-Oriented Research Collaboration Grant (2018-2019)
- Cancer Strategic Clinical Network Cancer Control Alberta Seed Grant (2018-2019)
- McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health Encore Catalyst Operating Grant (2017-2019)
- Alberta Innovates Accelerating Innovations into Care Grant (2017-2019)
Highlighted awards & honours
- Western University Orthopaedic Surgery Dr. Harvey Bailey Award for Best Basic Science Paper (2023)
- Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation Bones and Phones Legacy Scholarship (2023)
Physicians’ Services Incorporated Resident Research Grant (2022)
- Association of Women Surgeons Top 40 Under 40 (2022)
- Harvard University Surgical Leadership Program Team Award (2022)
- Western University Orthopaedic Surgery Dr. Bailey Award for Teaching Excellence (2021)
- Western University Department of Surgery Resident Research Grant (2019-2020)
- University of Calgary President’s Award for Excellence in Student Leadership (2019)
- University of Calgary Achievers in Medical Science Leaders in Medicine Scholarship (2019)
- 2017 ASTech Foundation Leaders of Tomorrow Award Winner (2017)
- Canadian Residency Matching Service Sandra Banner Student Award for Leadership (2017)
- Canadian Federation of Medical Students MD Financial Student Leadership Award (2017)
- Dr. Lydia Sikora Memorial Award (2017)
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (2014-2017)
- Alberta Innovates Health Solutions MD/PhD Clinician Researcher Student Scholarship (2013-2019)